Monday, April 7, 2014


The Thirst for God
Lenten Meditations

 

         One of the loveliest passages in the Psalms is in the Forty-second: “As a doe longs for running streams, so longs my soul for You, my God.  My soul thirsts for God, the God of Life” (1,2 The Jerusalem Bible)

            In the catacombs of St. Calixtus outside ancient Rome, there are often found sketches of a deer.  Symbolically the worshipers expressed their thirst for the Living God.

            Well may we be inspired by the early Church Fathers.  Augustine wrote,  “ O my God, Thou art my life, my joy, my holy, dear delight!”

            Ignatius, being martyred, said to his tormentors, “You may cut my heart into a thousand pieces.  On every one you will find in letters of gold the dear name of Jesus!”

            There is a legend that Thomas Aquinas received a vision of Christ who said, “Thomas, you have written very well about Me.  What would you like as a reward?”  Replied the devout master-theologian, “No other gift than Thyself, O Lord!”

            St. Theresa, a mother in God, dreamt of an angel who in one hand held a curtain.  In the other was a cup of water.  “What do these things mean?”  asked Theresa.  Replied the angel, “With the curtain I hide the sight of heaven, and with the water I dampen the fires of hell.  God wants His children to love Him for Himself alone, and not for hope of heavenly reward or fear of hell.”

            That puts it neatly, doesn’t it?  Not what we get, but what we give is of most importance.

            All through Lent we have been thinking deeply and spiritually.  Also we show our loyalty to our Church as we make our Lenten Self-Denial Offerings.

No comments: