Thursday, May 23, 2013

Lectionary Readings
Book of Common Prayer - 1979
May-26-2013
Trinity Sunday


The Collect

First Sunday after Pentecost: Trinity Sunday
Almighty and everlasting God, who hast given unto us thy servants grace, by the confession of a true faith, to acknowledge the glory of the eternal Trinity, and in the power of thy Divine Majesty to worship the Unity: We beseech thee that thou wouldst keep us steadfast in this faith and worship, and bring us at last to see thee in thy one and eternal glory, O Father; who with the Son and the Holy Spirit livest and reignest, one God, for ever and ever. Amen
Preface of Trinity Sunday

Old Testament Reading

Isaiah 6:1-8
1In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple. 2Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3And one cried to another and said: " Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; The whole earth is full of His glory!" 4And the posts of the door were shaken by the voice of him who cried out, and the house was filled with smoke. 5So I said: " Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, The LORD of hosts." 6Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a live coal which he had taken with the tongs from the altar. 7And he touched my mouth with it, and said: " Behold, this has touched your lips; Your iniquity is taken away, And your sin purged." 8Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: " Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me." -- NKJV

Psalm

Psalm 29
Afferte Domino
1Ascribe to the LORD, you gods, *
     ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.
2Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his Name; *
     worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
3The voice of the LORD is upon the waters;
     the God of glory thunders; *
     the LORD is upon the mighty waters.
4The voice of the LORD is a powerful voice; *
     the voice of the LORD is a voice of splendour.
5The voice of the LORD breaks the cedar trees; *
     the LORD breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
6He makes Lebanon skip like a calf, *
     and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
7The voice of the LORD splits the flames of fire;
     the voice of the LORD shakes the wilderness; *
     the LORD shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
8The voice of the LORD makes the oak trees writhe *
     and strips the forests bare.
9And in the temple of the LORD *
     all are crying, "Glory!"
10The LORD sits enthroned above the flood; *
     the LORD sits enthroned as King for evermore.
11The LORD shall give strength to his people; *
     the LORD shall give his people the blessing of peace.
New Testament Reading

Revelation 4:1-11
1After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying, "Come up here, and I will show you things which must take place after this." 2Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne set in heaven, and One sat on the throne. 3And He who sat there was like a jasper and a sardius stone in appearance; and there was a rainbow around the throne, in appearance like an emerald. 4Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and on the thrones I saw twenty-four elders sitting, clothed in white robes; and they had crowns of gold on their heads. 5And from the throne proceeded lightnings, thunderings, and voices. Seven lamps of fire were burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God. 6Before the throne there was a sea of glass, like crystal. And in the midst of the throne, and around the throne, were four living creatures full of eyes in front and in back. 7The first living creature was like a lion, the second living creature like a calf, the third living creature had a face like a man, and the fourth living creature was like a flying eagle. 8The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying: " Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!" 9Whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, who lives forever and ever, 10the twenty-four elders fall down before Him who sits on the throne and worship Him who lives forever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying: 11" You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created." -- NKJV

Gospel Reading

John 16:(5-11)12-15
(5"But now I go away to Him who sent Me, and none of you asks Me, 'Where are You going?' 6But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged. )12"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. 15All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you. -- NKJV

No comments: