Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lectionary Readings
Book of Common Prayer - 1979
Sunday, March-17-2013
Fifth Sunday in Lent


The Collect

Fifth Sunday in Lent
O Almighty God, who alone canst order the unruly wills and affections of sinful men: Grant unto thy people that they may love the thing which thou commandest, and desire that which thou dost promise; that so, among the sundry and manifold changes of the world, our hearts may surely there be fixed where true joys are to be found; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen
Old Testament Reading

Isaiah 43:16-21
16Thus says the LORD, who makes a way in the sea And a path through the mighty waters, 17Who brings forth the chariot and horse, The army and the power (They shall lie down together, they shall not rise; They are extinguished, they are quenched like a wick): 18" Do not remember the former things, Nor consider the things of old. 19Behold, I will do a new thing, Now it shall spring forth; Shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness And rivers in the desert. 20The beast of the field will honor Me, The jackals and the ostriches, Because I give waters in the wilderness And rivers in the desert, To give drink to My people, My chosen. 21This people I have formed for Myself; They shall declare My praise. -- NKJV

Psalm

Psalm 126
In convertendo
1When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion, *
     then were we like those who dream.
2Then was our mouth filled with laughter, *
     and our tongue with shouts of joy.
3Then they said among the nations, *
     "The LORD has done great things for them."
4The LORD has done great things for us, *
     and we are glad indeed.
5Restore our fortunes, O LORD, *
     like the watercourses of the Negev.
6Those who sowed with tears *
     will reap with songs of joy.
7Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed, *
     will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

New Testament Reading

Philippians 3:8-14
8Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. 12Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. -- NKJV

Gospel Reading

Luke 20:9-19
9Then He began to tell the people this parable: "A certain man planted a vineyard, leased it to vinedressers, and went into a far country for a long time. 10Now at vintage-time he sent a servant to the vinedressers, that they might give him some of the fruit of the vineyard. But the vinedressers beat him and sent him away empty-handed. 11Again he sent another servant; and they beat him also, treated him shamefully, and sent him away empty-handed. 12And again he sent a third; and they wounded him also and cast him out. 13"Then the owner of the vineyard said, 'What shall I do? I will send my beloved son. Probably they will respect him when they see him.' 14But when the vinedressers saw him, they reasoned among themselves, saying, 'This is the heir. Come, let us kill him, that the inheritance may be ours.' 15So they cast him out of the vineyard and killed him. Therefore what will the owner of the vineyard do to them? 16He will come and destroy those vinedressers and give the vineyard to others." And when they heard it they said, "Certainly not!" 17Then He looked at them and said, "What then is this that is written: ' The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone'? 18Whoever falls on that stone will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder." 19And the chief priests and the scribes that very hour sought to lay hands on Him, but they feared the people-for they knew He had spoken this parable against them. -- NKJV

No comments: